Summary of Requirements
The following outlines the requirements for meeting the national standard of excellence to be designated either one of the “Best Workplaces for Commuters” or a “Best SITE”.
Best Workplaces for Commuters
In order to qualify as one of the Best Workplaces for Commuters, your organization must offer at least one (1) of the following Primary Benefits:
- At least $30 per month towards a transit pass or vanpool pass (or the full cost of a pass if it is less than $30) to each employee who commutes using transit or a vanpool.
- At least 30 percent of employees participating in a pre-tax purchase of a monthly transit pass or vanpool pass of at least $30 per month (or the full cost of a pass if it is less than $30).
- A significant telework program that reduces by at least 6 percent the number of commuting trips employees make.
- A significant compressed work week program that reduces by at least 6 percent the number of commuting trips employees make.
- At least $30 per month (in lieu of providing a parking spot) to each employee who leaves their car at home and commutes another way.
- An equivalent benefit that provides similar value to employees, reduces traffic and air pollution, and is agreed to by Best Workplaces for Commuters
Your organization must also offer employees access to an Emergency Ride Home program and 3 supporting benefits, such as carpool matching, shuttles and on-site amenities (e.g., cafeteria, dry cleaners). If you have fewer than 20 employees, you need only provide one supporting benefit. Your organization must agree to work towards a goal of 14 percent or more of employees NOT driving to work alone, and agree to a membership due of $230 per worksite (multiple worksite discounts are available) that directly provides support to the program managed by the Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida with support from members, partnering organizations, the National Center for Transit Research at USF and the Florida Department of Transportation.
This designation was created for commercial and retail developers, shopping malls, business campuses and other multi-employer developments. To receive this designation for the Site location, the BWC “Best SITE” Standard of Excellence must be met.
With this designation, “Best SITES” maintain an active partnership with BWC through designation of a Property Transportation Coordinator (PTC). They must agree to promote their site as a Best Site for Commuters and pay the annual membership fee (currently $230 per year). A Best Site must have 2 of 5 types of transit and bicycling facilities and amenities, 3 of 6 parking management strategies, and 5 of 9 promotions/services/policies that support commuter and resident use of options that decrease vehicle trips.
NOTE: We will be accepting applications for the 2018 list beginning on September 1, 2017
If you need assistance, please call Julie Bond, project manager at 813.974.9799 or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to working with you!