Summary of Requirements
The following outlines the requirements for meeting the national standard of excellence to be designated either one of the “Best Workplaces for Commuters” or a “Best SITE.”
Best Workplaces for Commuters
In order to qualify as one of the Best Workplaces for Commuters, your organization must offer at least one (1) of the following Primary Benefits:
- At least $30 per month towards a transit pass.
- At least $30 per month for vanpool pass (or the full cost of a pass if it is less than $30) to each employee who commutes using transit or a vanpool.
- Provide a pre-tax option for employees to purchase a transit pass and/or vanpool pass with at least 30% of our employees purchasing such fare media of at least $30 per month.
- A significant telework program that reduces by at least 6% the number of motorized vehicle trips employees make per week.
- A significant compressed work week program with employees working longer hours on fewer days that reduces by at least 6% the number of motorized vehicle trips our employees make per week.
- A parking cash out option to employees. Parking cash out is a program that allows employees to opt out of having an employer-subsidized parking space and instead, receive compensation. Offer to pay employees at least $30 per month (in lieu of providing a parking spot) to each employee who leaves their car at home and commutes another way.
- Fully or partially fund one or more employee shuttles from rail stations and/or park and ride lots. The shuttles can either be directly operated by the employer or purchased transportation through a local TMA or service provider.
- A significant bicycle commuting program with at least 6% reduction in the number of motorized vehicle trips our employees make per week.
- Pay at least $30 per month to employees to carpool to work that reduces by at least 6% the number of vehicle trips our employees make per week.
- An equivalent benefit that provides similar value to employees, reduces traffic and air pollution, and is agreed to by Best Workplaces for Commuters.
Your organization must also offer employees access to an Emergency Ride Home program and three supporting benefits, such as carpool matching, electric vehicle recharging stations, and on-site amenities (e.g., cafeteria, dry cleaners). If you have fewer than 20 employees, you need only provide one supporting benefit. Your organization must agree to work towards a goal of 14% or more of employees NOT driving to work alone, and agree to a membership dues of $250 per worksite (multiple worksite discounts are available) that directly provides support to the program managed by the Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida with support from members, partnering organizations, the National Center for Transit Research at USF and the Florida Department of Transportation. The membership dues for Florida employers is sponsored by the Florida Department of Transportation.
This designation was created for commercial and retail developers, shopping malls, business campuses and other multi-employer developments. To receive this designation for the SITE location, the BWC “Best SITE” Standard of Excellence must be met.
With this designation, “Best SITES” maintain an active partnership with BWC through designation of a Property Transportation Coordinator (PTC). They must agree to promote their site as a Best SITE for Commuters and pay the $250 annual membership fee. A Best SITE must have 2 of 5 types of transit and bicycling facilities and amenities, 3 of 6 parking management strategies, and 5 of 9 promotions/services/policies that support commuter and resident use of options that decrease vehicle trips.
The 2022 application period is June 1, 2021 through October 31, 2021.
To apply, select the appropriate application by type of employer:
If you need assistance, please call Julie Bond, project manager at 813.974.9799 or send a message to email@example.com. We look forward to working with you!